Forestry Board Main Activities
See scroll down menu for our list of activities or click blue links below.
Additional Board Activities
Summary of accomplishments, calendar year 2016:
- Expanded cooperation with CHESPAX and the Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) by conducting several Envirothon training sessions and holding the forestry Envirothon training.
- Purchased T-shirts for the Envirothon students.
- Purchased new Arbor Day items for the local forestry office.
- Continued to revise and refine forestry board website.
- Purchased eight small trees/shrubs for the beautification of Southern Middle School.
- Continued the maintenance and annual measurement of American chestnut seedlings planted on ACLT property in 2015. Annual measurements conducted by Calvert High School students.
- Conducted an online survey for teachers involved with the 2015 Arbor Day Poster Contest. Revised contest rules and format based on teacher feedback. 2016 online survey indicated an improvement of the program based on the changes.
- Assumed responsibility for the measurement of trees in Calvert County for the Big Tree program Approximately 20 trees have been re-measured to date.
- Participated in the 2016 Calvert County Green Expo, held two seminars on invasive species and the Big Tree program, distributed information for forest landowners and gave away 100 hardwood seedlings.
- Funded 2 students to attend the 2016 Natural Resources Careers Camp.
- Fall Forestry Tour scheduled for November 5, 2016 in Chesapeake Beach, MD. Attended by 25 participants.